Sun 16 Nov 25 - Ratnagiri to Devgad
Distance: 92.45km | Ride Time: 5h 16m | Overnight: Devgad (Hotel Aaradhya Crown)
Today we continued our ride south partly along the coast, but mostly through the countryside, up and down far too many sharp hills and along tablelands in the scorching hot sun. Riding along the tableland was particularly uncomfortable as there were no trees or shade, and at times with a hot sidewind. The temperature reached 37 Deg and averaged 34 Deg throughout the day making it very challenging ride. I realised I hadn't taken in enough fluids by the 40km mark when I started to get signs of dehydration with dizziness and nausea. I increased my fluid intake significantly from that point, and I managed to finish the last 52km, albeit very slowly. We eventually arrived at our overnight stop in Devgad, which thankfully doesn't appear to have a great deal see, so I rested up in my air conditioned room.
Today was day 7 of riding without a break, and we have another two more long days of riding before we have a rest day on Wednesday. The reason we haven't had a day off yet (I think) is because we are very remote, and there wouldn't be much to see or do on a day off anyway. In the past 7 days we have ridden more than 502km, (29h 16m total riding time), and climbed more than 5,500m. We're all looking forward to a break in three days time.
As for photos today, we were remote, and because it was hot and hazy I didn't see many photo opportunities - I was also more interested in just getting to the hotel for the night. Dinner was a short walk to the hotel restaurant which is located 5 minutes walk away, and it was delicious - Tandoori Chicken and garlic Naan and the Dhal were standouts. By now the street was abuzz with activity, and many stores open that weren't even apparent when we rode in. Keen to recover, it was an early night to bed, hoping tomorrow is a more pleasant day.
 |
| The first of many bridges crossed today |
 |
| Tea Stop |
 |
| Lovely location on the river - but so much rubbish. Note the pile of ash where some rubbish is burnt (plastic, cans, bottles) |
 |
| Temperature is climbing and time for more rehydration |
 |
| Another drink stop - How many ladies can you fit in the back of a truck? |
 |
| Answer - Not Sure. I lost count |
 |
| In the middle of nowhere (about 25km from the hotel) at 2pm and we still hadn't had lunch. This man in his very rustic kitchen by the roadside made us all (about 15) Omelette Pau (spicy omelette with 2 bread rolls each). That kept us going |
 |
| Making Omelette Pau |
 |
| Two of our drivers partaking in lunch too |
 |
| The modest store next door |
 |
| No apparent village nearby, and all these people were sitting in the shade where we had lunch. |
 |
| Sunsetting on a tough day - from the balcony of my hotel room |
Comments
Post a Comment